Richard Tompkins Nurse Development Scholarship
THIS PROGRAMME IS NOW CLOSED FOR APPLICATIONS
Now open for applications
The Richard Tomplins Nurse Development Scholarship is an annual award. It is a development opportunity, for a registered nurse, midwife or health visitor who is committed to developing person-centred cultures of care. This scholarship is open to practitioners who are working clinically in any health or social care setting UK-wide, and is targeting in particular, those at ward sister level or equivalent.
For over two decades FoNS, an independent organisation, has supported nurses across the United Kingdom (UK) to lead innovation in the workplace that transforms the way nurses work and care for patients. Over this time, we have developed an excellent reputation for this unique and practical hands-on approach to supporting nurses. With help from FoNS, nurses have been able to make significant improvements to their practice and their patients’ experience of care.
The late Richard Tompkins saw the potential of FoNS to enable nurses to develop knowledge and skills that benefit patients. The Tompkins Foundation remains a valuable supporter of FoNS and we are delighted that Mrs Elizabeth Tompkins is supporting this scholarship opportunity.
The scholarship includes:
- Attendance at a 5-day residential international practice development school (see https://www.fons.org/programmes/schools). The scholarship covers the cost of the course fee, accommodation, food and reasonable travel expenses. FoNS has been involved in these schools for more than 10 years and believes that they enable individuals to gain knowledge and skills to facilitate the development of more person-centred cultures of care
- 12 months bespoke mentorship from FoNS to support an innovation in practice including face-to-face visits, and support via email and telephone
- Opportunity to work towards publishing a paper in the International Practice Development Journal (see https://www.fons.org/library/journal-ipdj-home) as a novice writer
- Honorary FoNS Associate registration for 12 months
- Download the application form
- Submission of full application before closing date
- Shortlisting - each application is carefully considered and all applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application
- Telephone interviews with shortlisted applicants will be held
- Scholarships awarded and winner announced
- Scholarships awarded
Applicants must secure an internal sponsor at a senior/strategic level to ensure that they are able to maximise the opportunities created by the scholarship. Should the applicant be successful, it is anticipated that regular face-to-face meetings will be held to enable the sponsor to offer support where possible.
Who should apply and why?
This scholarship offers a unique combination of benefits and a unique opportunity to access support and development to innovate in your workplace. It's a rewarding mix of challenge and support, it's highly creative and yet all about real nursing practice, it's about developing you as a facilitator and leader but equally about your patients and the team you work with. Read more ...